Asian American Optometric Society
ARTICLE I: NAME
- Section 1: The name of this organization shall be the Asian American Optometric Society (AAOS).
- Section 2: The address of this organization shall be the mailing address of the President.
ARTICLE II: PURPOSE
The specific and primary purpose of this society is to promote and maintain a social, cultural, scientific and educational interchange of information and experiences amongst the members.
ARTICLE III: MEMBERSHIP
- Section 1: Membership shall be open to any licensed optometrist.
- Section 2: Lifetime membership shall be granted to individuals who are Charter members or have served on the board as President. These individuals will be non-paying dues members and share all rights of other members.
ARTICLE IV: EXECUTIVE BOARD
- Section 1: The executive board officers of this organization shall consist of the President, President-Elect, Administrative Assistant (Secretary) and Treasurer.
ARTICLE V: BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Section 1: The board of directors of this organization shall consist of the Immediate Past President, Membership Chair, Social Chair, Education Chair, Social Media Chair, and Newsletter Chair.
ARTICLE VI: TRUSTEES
- Section 1: Trustees shall be appointed by the Executive Board and the Board of Directors.
- Section 2: Trustees shall serve a 1 year term as members of the AAOS Board.
- Section 3: Trustees have full voting privileges.
- Section 4: Trustee requirement is having served as President or a Charter Member.
- Section 5: The number of Trustees shall not exceed the total number of Board of Directors and Executive Board.
ARTICLE VII: BOARD OF THE AAOS
- Section 1: The board of the AAOS shall consist of the Executive Board, the Board of Directors, and the Trustees.
ARTICLE VIII: DUTIES OF THE EXECUTIVE BOARD OFFICERS
- Section 1: The President shall preside over all the meetings and supervise the Society’s affairs.
- Section 2: The President-Elect will be President the following term of office. The President-Elect, in the absence of the President, shall assume the duties of that office. In event the President is unable to continue his duties voluntarily or involuntarily, the President-Elect will assume the duties for the remainder of the term. If this term exceeds 18 months, the executive board shall appoint a new President-Elect.
- Section 3: The Administrative Assistant/Secretary shall maintain records of all the meetings and take care of all correspondence for the Society. He/She shall also keep the constitution, by-laws and policies of the Society current.
- Section 4: The Treasurer shall keep financial records as well as collect and disburse all funds. He/She shall submit at the end of each year, a financial statement for the board to review.
- Section 5: The board shall maintain a minimum of $5,000 in the general operating fund (checking account).
ARTICLE IX: ELECTION OF BOARD OFFICERS
- Section 1: The officers shall be elected by December 31st of each year and assume office at the Installation Banquet.
- Section 2: The election of officers shall be by ballot. The term of (1) year.
- Section 3: The nominees shall be presented to the general membership via mail, electronic mail and/or social media. General membership will have four (4) weeks to vote.
ARTICLE X: MEETING
- Section 1: The President shall call a board meeting quarterly. The President may call additional meetings as deemed necessary.
- Section 2: The Society is to hold at least two educational seminars during each calendar year.
- Section 3: All meetings shall be conducted in accordance with Robert’s Rules of Orders.
Article XI: SCHOLARSHIPS
- Section 1: The society shall maintain at least three (3) scholarships, totaling a minimum of $3000 each year (each scholarship providing at least $1000) to a 3rd and/or 4th year Optometry school student from the Southern California College of Optometry.
- Section 2: The three (3) Scholarships are: The Dr. Rodger T. Kame Memorial Scholarship, The Dr. Arthur Sugino Memorial Scholarship, and The Dr. William Yamamoto Memorial Scholarship.
- Section 3: The scholarship winners will be selected by the AAOS board members.
ARTICLE XII: QUORUM
- Section 1: For general business matters, 50% of the total board members shall constitute a quorum.
- Section 2: For constitutional amendments, 70% of the total board members shall constitute a quorum.
ARTICLE XIII: VOTING
- Section 1: Providing a quorum is met, a simple majority of those present shall prevail for general business matters.
- Section 2: Providing a quorum is met, a vote of three-fourths of those present is necessary for approval of constitutional amendments.
ARTICLE XIV: DUES
- Section 1: The membership fee shall be reviewed by the board annually.
- Section 2: Membership fees are due December 31st of each year and delinquent January 31st of the following year.
ARTICLE XV: CODE OF ETHICS
The Code of Ethics of the California Optometric Association shall be the guiding rule of this Society.